Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Book of Storms by Ruth Hatfield - OPTIONAL

Hatfield, Ruth The Book of Storms, 357 pages.  Henry Holt, 2015.  $17.  Language: G; Mature Content: G; Violence: PG.

Danny’s parents have always been stormchasers, but after one particularly violent storm, they don’t come home.  The answers Danny seeks are out in the storms and particularly within The Book of Storms, but the book belongs to a being named Sammael - a being who believes that he is stronger and smarter than even Death, a being who will do whatever it takes to stop Danny from taking his power and his twisted games away.  

I would love to hear another point of view on this book, because I was seriously underwhelmed and actually angered by part of the story.  The villain of the piece, Sammael, has a dog which he repeatedly abuses, both actively and through neglect, during the entire course of the book.  That, coupled with a main character I couldn’t connect to, I had to force myself to finish my reading. That doesn’t bode well for putting the book in the hands of students.

EL - OPTIONAL.   Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: