Thursday, September 10, 2015

What’s Great About Utah (Our Great States) by Rebecca Felix -OPTIONAL

Felix, Rebecca What’s Great About Utah (Our Great States) 32 pgs Lerner, 2015. $7.95 NON-FICTION
This book features ten fun things to do for kids  in Utah. It includes Dinosaur Park, Antelope Island, Powwows, and Miller Motorsports Park. Features tons of bright photographs, fact boxes, maps, bright colors, and text variation.
Each year a class or two at my school creates state travel brochures, so I was excited to read a book from this series. But reading the Utah one, my home state, turned out to be an excellent test. I did like that a lot of thought went into including specific activities to appeal to children and the photographs are well chosen. I thought that swimming in the Great Salt Lake was a bit misleading and found myself wondering how they chose some of the places, like a Ranch that is featured. I bet there are a lot of ranches that would have loved to be in this book, did the series get paid to include some of these destinations?
EL –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: