Friday, September 11, 2015

Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child by Maria Lennon -NO

Lennon, Maria Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child 276 pgs. Harper, 2013. $6.99 Content: Language: PG (3G swears and various Hecks); Mature Content: PG Violence: G
Charlie Cooper is desperate to be popular, at her former school this led her into a dangerous prank. At her new school she is ready for a fresh start, but her therapist has something else in mind. He cuts a deal with her that she will befriend the biggest nerd in the school. Charlie knows this will ruin her chances at popularity, friendship, and fun so she starts plotting her way through the tangle.
I only have my adult perspective for this book, but if Charlie were my child I would dump her as fast as humanly possible in a third world country for a heavy dose of reality, compassion, and survival. I realize most 13 year old are just starting the whole angsty self-involved discovery phase, but I found Charlie (even at the end after a few evolutions of character) to be absolutely abhorrent. Its like the negative spoiled Junie B Jones as a pre-teen. I found it pretty disheartening to be honest. I am not saying every single book character should be a shining role model, but please give us some redeeming quality to hang onto.
MS –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: