Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Mesmer Menace by Kersten Hamilton - ADVISABLE

Hamilton, Kersten The Mesmer Menace, 132 pgs. Clarion Books, 2013. Language – G, Sexual Content – G; Violence – PG; 

Wally’s parents are famous scientists and inventors, so it’s not too surprising when the President asks for their help in catching an evil magician terrorizing the upper class. When his parents finally leave, Wally is told to keep their mission with the President a secret, but there are forces fighting against him even at home. Can they stop the magician before anyone else gets hurt? 

I like that this book uses some big vocabulary and explains what they mean for the elementary school kids it’s aimed towards. The Mesmer Menace is also told from an interesting point of view: Wally’s dog. At first I didn’t like being in the dog’s point of view, but it grew on me eventually. Furthermore, the illustrations are amazing and I found myself looking forward to the next picture as I read. 

EL – ADVISABLE. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: