Friday, January 30, 2015

Defy the Dark by Saundra Mitchell - ADVISABLE

Mitchell, Saundra Defy the Dark, 454 pgs. HarperTeen, 2013. Language – PG-13 (78 swears, 0 “f”), Sexual Content – PG-13; Violence – PG; 

Eleven of these stories are good stories, and I found the other ones as either strange in an unnerving way or not developed enough to be considered anything but filler space. I hate to single one out as my favorite because I found Valerie Kemp’s to be my favorite until I read the short story by Sarah Rees Brennan and then three more replaced that one as I kept reading. While some of the stories were only “meh,” the few that I didn’t like at all were simply the confusing one (like the story written by Sarah Ockler). Overall, though the stories are cool and its’ interesting to see the wide range of stories derived from the same prompt. 

HS – ADVISABLE. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: