Thursday, July 21, 2011

The I'M NOT SCARED book by Todd Parr- ADVISABLE

Parr, Todd.  The I’M NOT SCARED Book, 32 pages.  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2011.  $9.99.  Back Cover: “I’m not scared if I have a night-light.  I’m not scared when I stay close to Mommy.  I’m not scared when I make new friends. In his signature playful style, Todd Parr empowers kids to face their fears and say, “I’m not scared!”  This is a great and simple book about facing one’s fears.  My only hesitation in giving it an “ESSENTIAL” rating is the page that talks about fear of buying new underwear?  None of my kids have ever feared buying new underwear.  In fact, they are always excited to pick out a new package!  My only guess is that Todd Parr was trying to be humorous?  In that case, teachers and librarians might want to prepare for the laughter and jokes that might result when reading that page.  We love the illustrations and enjoyed this book.  Great sounding board for talking about feelings.  ADVISABLE.  EL (K-3).  Reviewer:  SL.

No comments: