Sunday, January 15, 2023

Tress of the Emerald Sea by Brandon Sanderson - ADVISABLE

Tress of the Emerald Sea by Brandon Sanderson, 384 pages. Dragonsteel Entertainment, 2023. $30.

Language: PG (11 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Being a window washer on the Rock was all 16yo Tress needed. Until Tress realized that she was in love with her best friend, Charlie (17yo), and that Charlie’s father would do anything to keep Charlie from Tress – including send Charlie to the Sorceress. Leaving the Rock could change everything, but Tress had to do something.

I am a Brandon Sanderson fan, and I was really excited to get my hands on this book. The opening illustration was amazing, and I was so ready to start reading. And then the first chapter was all narrator – a narrator that breaks the fourth wall frequently. I was devastated. Thankfully, dialogue and the real story starts up in chapter two, and I was able to gloss over the narrator I didn’t like in favor of Tress, her story, her growth, and her insights. Overall, I like this book, even though I still dislike the narrator, because of the amazing Sanderson world building and because of how Sanderson plays with common hero tropes.

Tress is white in the illustrations; Salay has a “darker skin tone” in text and illustration; Crow is described as “tan;” and Charlie, Hoid, and Riina are all white in the illustrations. The mature content rating is for mentions of alcohol, brief nudity, and innuendo. The violence rating is for mentions of suicide and assassination, gun use, murder, and fantasy battle scenes.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: