Thursday, October 12, 2017

Pigeon P.I. by Meg McLaren -ADVISABLE

McLaren, Meg Pigeon P.I., PICTURE BOOK. Clarion, 2017.  $17.
A pigeon stars as an old fashioned detective. When a chick comes to him for help, her bird friends are missing, pigeon reluctantly takes the case. Then chick herself goes missing. After investigating, he finds a clue, and lands in hot water. Will he be able to save chick and her friends.
This has the complete feel of a traditional old school detective mystery along with the vocabulary such as red herring, skipped town, beat it and more. As an adult I could really appreciate the subtle humor, creativity, and nods to the genre. I think I students might be a bit lost but could get the gist of the story from the darling illustrations. The book could focus as an introduction to the mystery genre for younger readers.

EL(K-3) –ADVISABLE.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: