Monday, October 30, 2017

Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion by Chris Barton - ADVISABLE

Barton, Chris Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion.  PICTURE BOOK.  Illustrated by Victo Ngai.  Millbrook Press (Lerner), 2017.  $20.

During World War I, German submarines  started attacking not only British and American warships, but also desperately needed cargo ships.  Thought he idea was not new, a Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve officer, Norman Wilkinson suggested that ships be painted in what he called dazzle patterns – patterns that would confuse the submarine captains about the boats’ headings.

Barton has taken a little known aspect of World War I and brought it to a place where children of all ages can learn about and marvel and human ingenuity.  A quick internet image search will bring up many images –  fascinating images that I had never seen before  If your school teaches about art, war, or World War I, I think this would be a marvelous addition to your collection.  I can even see giving it as a gift to a former sailor or history buff.

EL, MS, HS, GIFT – ADVISABLE.  Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: