Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Science Comics: Flying Machines: How the Wright Brothers Soared by Alison Wilgus -OPTIONAL

Wilgus, Alison Science Comics: Flying Machines: How the Wright Brothers Soared, 110 pgs. GRAPHIC.  First Second (Roaring Brook), 2017. $13.

Told in graphic novel format we meet the little sister of the Wright brothers, Katherine, who is now full grown. She acts as a guide to readers who discover the how the brothers were first interested in flying, how flying machines evolved through new thoughts, ideas and discoveries in the science of flight, the flights of her brothers, and the flying community at large. Scientific concepts are discussed in detail along with statics of the first planes. The artwork is presented in shades of brown, mustard, black, white, and gray.

This is my second time reviewing a book from this series and I honestly think they are a bit too challenging for elementary school. I think middle school students learning the concept of flight would find this book just right. There is a plethora of names and science concepts that would overwhelm younger readers, and at times I found challenging. Many of the people had a similar look to me, so I began to have difficulty telling them apart especially as more and more people were introduced. I loved that Katherine was the guide and much biographical information about her is included, which is almost more fascinating to me.

MS –OPTIONAL.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: