Friday, October 16, 2015

The Whisper by Pamela Zagarenski - ADVISABLE

Zagarenski, Pamela The Whisper.  PICTURE BOOK.  Houghton Mifflin, 2015.  $18.  

A little girl sees a magical looking book high on her teacher’s wall.  When she takes it home, however, it has no words and a little whisper in her head helps her make her own stories. 

The illustrations in this book are absolutely gorgeous creations of whimsy.  The story is also a delight of imagination.  The absolutely only change I would love to make is to have the girl’s words under each picture hidden first, so that I could enjoy and imagine for myself first, before reading the author’s imaginings for the pictures.  If I could afford it, I would buy any of these pages as an original work of art for my own home.  What a great read aloud and discussion book for many classrooms.

EL – ADVISABLE.
Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: