Thursday, February 19, 2015

Andrew Draws by David McPahil - OPTIONAL

McPhail, David Andrew Draws, PICTURE BOOK. Holiday House, 2014. $16.95. Content: G. 

Andrew finds a crayon and begins to draw and draw. He gets better as he creates more pictures and he starts to draw special projects for his family that jump right off the page. The president finds out about this extraordinary ability and calls Andrew to ask if he can use his artwork to help the world. I was bored by this book. There never felt like much of a highpoint. When the art begins to come alive, it does so with mediocrity. 

I could forgive the unexceptional story if the illustrations stood out more, but I didn’t think they were all that striking either. The only thing that I noticed were the bizarre hairstyles of some of the characters. I’m all for bizarre, but it just came off as questionable instead. 

PRE-K, K-3- OPTIONAL. Reviewed by: Shay, School Librarian

No comments: