Thursday, January 1, 2015

I Am a Witch’s Cat by Harriet Muncaster - ADVISABLE

Muncaster, Harriet. I Am a Witch’s Cat, PICTURE BOOK. Content: G. 

A child dressed as a black kitty chronicles all of the reasons she knows that her mom is a witch (which makes her a witch’s cat). Her mom completes everyday tasks, but the daughter uses her imagination to describe them as things a witch would do (“I know my mom is a witch because she keeps lots of strange potion bottles in the bathroom that I am NOT allowed to touch.”) On Friday nights Mom goes out (because she “needs a break from being a witch”) and the little girl has a babysitter for the evening. By the end, the reader is convinced that the mother is a witch only in the child’s imagination, but there is a twist that shows otherwise. 

The story in this book is very cute, but the real star is the illustrations. They are created using paper, fabric, and mixed media to create the various scenes and they are AWESOME. They are incredibly unique and really make the book stand out. I wish the story was just a little stronger so that this would be an essential pick, but I would strongly suggest you purchase it for the pictures. 

Pre-K, EL (K-3)- ADVISABLE. Reviewed by: Shay, School Librarian

No comments: