Friday, May 18, 2012

Sinister Scenes by P.J. Bracegirdle - ADVISABLE


Bracegirdle, P. J., Sinister Scenes, McElderry books, 319 pages, violence - PG, Language - G ( 0 swears, 0 "F") Sexual content - G. 

Joy Wells loves her home town of Spooking, a small bunch of houses on a hill far above the much larger (and much hated by Joy) city of Darlington, where she goes to school. While Joy loves her little town and the secrets it holds concerning her favorite author and hero, who she thinks once dwelled there, Mr. Octavio Phipps despises the town and wants it off the map. Mr. Phipps finally gets a chance to change the town when a movie crew shows up to turn Spooking into a set for a horror movie, but with all of the troubles they're having, will the movie ever see the light of day?

When I started reading this book, I had thought it seemed pretty lame. I guess I had set my expectations too high and was hoping for a thriller more on my level. But once I really started paying attention, the author's witty and cynical writing style really made me enjoy reading it, especially when it switched to Mr. Phipps' point of view.This was one of the few books that didn't lower my faith in humanity at all, even if it had sort of a dark outlook at the beginning. There were a few problems I had with it, like the character Morris in general, but overall it was quite a marvelous read, especially if I were to look at it from the point of view of an elementary school student. 

EL-MS - ADVISABLE, Student Reviewer, BT

No comments: