Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Annika Riz, Math Wiz by Claudia Mills -OPTIONAL

Mills, Claudia  Annika Riz, Math Wiz 122 pgs. Square Fish, 2014. $15.99 Content: Language: G Mature Content: G Violence: G CHAPTER BOOK
Annika comes from a family that is good with numbers, so it’s no surprise that she loves math. But her friends don’t care for it at all, and she wants them to think that Math is as cool as what they enjoy doing. Annika finds her chance to prove that when the public library advertises for a Sudoku contest. Annika is determined to win. In the meantime Annika and her friends ruin batch after batch of cookies for a fundraiser, will this ruin her sudoku practice time?

I have to be honest, I wouldn’t add this book to my school library. Its kind of all around just sort of humdrum, starting with the cover. I didn’t feel like the characters were intriguing enough for realistic fiction. I would lean more towards the Sew Zoey or Cupcake Diaries or even the Lemonade War Series.
EL (K-3) –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I did like Izzy Barr, and the new pet sitting one looks interesting. Oddly, these do well with my struggling 6th grade readers, whereas Sew Zoey seems "too long" to them!