Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Secret Sea by Barry Lyga - NO

Lyga, Barry The Secret Sea, 430 pages. Feiwel and Friends, 2016. Language - PG (4 swears, 0 "f") Mature Content - G; Violence - PG-13; 

Zak has often felt alone, despite the occasional word from his guardian angel. Everything changes when Zak learns who his guardian angel is, and what they are trying to say. Now Zak and his two friends must navigate an unknown land similar to their own, for a guardian angel asking for help.

I did not finish the book, I stopped on page 296. I stopped when I realized I was trying to avoid reading because of the severity of the violence which I thought was too detailed and too often. I was also confused as to who the target audience is because as a high schooler, I do not want to read about 12-year olds, however, I don't think the content is appropriate for 12-year olds. Lastly, I did not like the false innocence of the book, the author started pleasantly and gradually increased language and violence.

NOT RECOMMENDED. Student Reviewer: MMH

No comments: