Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Write This Down by Claudia Mills - OPTIONAL

Mills, Claudia Write This Down, 248 pgs. Farrar Straus Giroux (Margaret Ferguson Books), 2016. $15.99 Language – PG (3 swear, 0 “f”), Mature Content – G; Violence – G; Nothing is going right for Autumn anymore: her brother, Hunter, was the best brother ever a few months ago, but is now unkind at every turn; her dream of becoming a writer was no question, until she sent in some of her work and started receiving rejection after rejection; and her secret crush may now know that she’s in love with him. With problems like these, what is a twelve-year-old to do?

As I was reading, I felt connected to Autumn and her problems that seem so overwhelming as a middle schooler; however, now that I’m finished, I’m not sure I can pinpoint the main idea of her story. The struggle the resonated with me most is the fear of being passionate and having a dream, but becoming discouraged with every step forward. Autumn is used to praise and encouragement for the things she writes, so, when the rejection starts, it’s hard for her to adjust—it’s easier to quit. I admire her courage to continue, even when her dream became more difficult to achieve. 

MS – OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: