Tuesday, May 30, 2017

All That I Can Be by Mercer Mayer - ADVISABLE

Mayer, Mercer All That I Can Be. PICTURE BOOK. Random House, 2017. $5.99. REPRINT.  

Readers get two Little Critter books in this paperback reissue. Each of the stories--"When I Get Bigger" and "When I Grow Up"--focus on the same idea of growing up and what kids imagine that will be like. The first story focuses on Little Critter, the second on his younger sister. We are big fans of Little Critter at our house so I was excited to read these new-to-us stories. They are exactly what one has come to expect from Mayer--wonderful illustrations and simple straightforward storytelling that any child can relate to. 

I like that the books have been published together since the first story focuses on more realistic goals for growing up--staying up late, picking out his own clothes, etc.--while the latter title is more dreamlike in its 'grown up' goals--climbing mountains, starring in a circus, etc. I must note that some of the material is a bit dated (ordering things from a catalog, for example) but its still really fun. Overall this is a great pick for fans of Mercer Mayer or even those who have yet to experience the wonderful world of Little Critter.

Pre-K, EL (K-3)--ADVISABLE. Reviewer: TC

No comments: