Monday, June 9, 2014

Rules of Summer by Shaun Tan - NO

Tan, Shaun Rules of Summer, PICTURE BOOK.  Arthur A. Levine Books (Scholastic), 2013. $19.  CONTENT G. 

I am just going to admit it right up front.  The Arrival, Tan’s first well known book, completely confused me and did not engage me.  This book just continues to confuse me.  It is presented as a picture book, looks it is supposed to be for children, but it is bleak and depressing and I don’t think this is actually meant for a child.  Now, if I had some 20-something hipster friends who are interested in anti-picture books - them I would share it with.  It will just depress children - from the hopeless tone on each to page to the bleak, lonely landscapes.  If you don’t think I “got” this book, please tell me what I am missing, in a constructive way. 

NOT RECOMMENDED.   Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: