Monday, June 9, 2014

Pieces of Me by Amber Kizer –NO

Kizer, Amber Pieces of me 304 pgs. Delacorte Press, 2014. $16.99 Content: Language: G (0 Swears); Mature Content: PG-13 Violence: G.
Jessica is a shy high school student with an overbearing mother who doesn't really know her. When Jessica dies, her organs are donated for transplant. Among those that received her parts, are some local teenagers. Jessica seems to be stuck behind, tethered to them, watching as they discover the process of accepting life over death, or just the opposite. We follow 4 other stories through the book.
Its repeated over and over the Jessica's mother never really knew who she was, yet after reading the whole book, I felt like I did either. The overlap of the other characters living their lives with Jessica hovering in the background making commentary, was sort of confusing and blurry. Eventually, when the various stories start to cross paths, I found I hadn't bonded with any of the characters, and I didn't care much for the outcome. I think that students will have a hard time relating to any of the characters, unless they have gone through something similar, since the focus is very much on the process of illness and death.

HS –NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: