Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Life as a Joke (My Life #4) by Janet Tashjian – OPTIONAL

Tasjian, Janet  My Life as a Joke (My Life #4) 272 pgs. Henry Holt and Co, 2014. $13.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G.
Derek is twelve and his life seems to a be a series of minor disasters, mostly accidental. When he vows to be more mature, he decides to express this through volunteering for a charity drive. He naturally, gets put on collecting all the donated dolls. When he decides to keep one and sell it for money, it starts of series of more disasters. Will Derek ever learn his lesson? Is be mature not all its cracked up to be?
I thought this book was very readable, but overly long for its target audience of reluctant readers. I didn't find any of the foibles funny in the slightest though. Its easy to see that lessons were learned and the main character grew, but the biggest lesson was totally ignored; stealing. I think students will be drawn to the Wimpy Kid like cover and the mini illustrations for vocabulary words.

EL –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: