Thursday, February 15, 2018

Voices from the Underground Railroad by Kay Winters -ADVISABLE

Winters, Kay Voices from the Underground Railroad, illustrated by Larry Day. PICTURE BOOK. Dial (Penguin), 2018. $19. 9780803740921

This book tells the fictional story of a young brother and sister escaping from slavery via the underground railroad. The narrative is told in a rotating perspective that includes the escaping pair, the slave holder, the operative, the slave catchers and more. The appendix includes many historical notes and terminology. Feature large dark illustrations.

The interesting perspectives in this book will help readers to understand the various roles that went into the underground railroad (and those against it). I found myself so involved with the story that I was startled to hear real life happening around me. I did not care for the illustrations, they were sloppy and give the book (especially the cover) a dated look that will make it unappealing to readers. I think this book would best be brought to life for a class by a 3rd-6th grade teacher.

EL – ADVISABLE.  Stephanie, Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: