Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Period 8 by Chris Crutcher - NO

Crutcher, Chris Period 8, 282 pgs. Greenwillow Books (HarperCollins), 2013. Language - R (268 swears, 69 "f"), Sexual Content - PG-13; Violence - PG; 

The first causalities of this game are Paulie, Hannah, and Mary, but they are far from being the only ones. This game of control is only fun for two people--those taking control--and everyone else doesn't even know that they are players. Paulie is stuck in the middle with no idea how to stop everything from rolling out of control, but, when it becomes life-or-death, Paulie knows he has to do something. 

My sister asked about this book when I was 100 pages in and I honestly had no idea what to tell her this book was about. I'm still not sure if my synopsis is very accurate, but I tried. Not only was it all super confusing, but I lost interest in reading this book on page two. That far into the book set the bar at very low standards regarding the language and sexual content of this book and, unfortunately, I was not wrong. I wish I understood the mystery that was uncovered by the end, but the conclusion did not explain everything and I don't care enough to spend anymore time thinking about it. 

HS - NO. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: