Monday, November 21, 2016

Dear My (Blank): Secret Letters Never Sent edited by Emily Trunko - NOT RECOMMENDED


Trunko, Emily (editor) Dear My Blank : Secret Letters Never Sent, illustrated by Lisa Congdon. 224 pgs Penguin Random House, 2016. $14.99. Language: PG13 (13 swears, 0 Fs) Mature Content: PG13 (references to “sleeping together” etc).; Violence: G.   

An extension of the internet blog, this book is a collection of 150 anonymous letters on varying subjects like love, heartbreak, family, and loss.  It is designed to give teen readers a connection to others who are experiencing similar emotions. Each letter is presented in an artistic setting to give individual attention to each.  

I didn’t love this as much as I thought I would.  It’s much too angsty! I was emotionally exhausted, and without the context of the letters, there wasn’t much to hang onto other than the feeling of eavesdropping on something that wasn’t any of my business.  Too mature for early teens, maybe there’s an interest in high school as a writing prompt? 

HS - NO  Lisa Librarian

1 comment:

MrsReaderPants said...

Thanks, Lisa! I've been wondering about the maturity level of this one. Very helpful to know!