Sunday, March 17, 2013

Ricky Vargas: Born to be Funny (Book #2) by Alan Katz –NOT RECOMMENDED


Katz, Alan and Illustrated by Curtis, Stacy  Ricky Vargas: Born to be Funny (Book #2) 80 pgs. Scholastic Paperbacks, 2013. $4.49.  Content: Language: G (0 swears);  Mature Content: G ;  Violence: G.
Three mini early reader stories about a boy named Ricky Vargas. Usually he is a funny kid, but one morning he wakes up and isn't funny. His classmates try to make him laugh all day. In another story he enters the talent show, everyone knows he is going to win, but its  a good thing the other entrants stayed in the contest, because Ricky is off him game.
I didn't care for this book. It wasn't funny and didn't flow well for me. I also disliked the artwork, I sort of think Ricky looks like a chipmunk. I wouldn't add this to my collection, since it looks outdated and isn't a plot I could sell to the students.
EL –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

The "doesn't flow well" was exactly how I felt. I need funny books for biys, but this just didn't work somehow.

Stephanie said...

Ms.Yingling...
Try Adventures of Wedgieman! I had the kids howling with laughter today! We are writing book review Sandwich's and I used it as my example book.
The second book is funny too!It just came out.