Tuesday, March 12, 2013

In a Blink (Book #1 Disney’s The Never Girls) By Kiki Thorpe –ADVISABLE


Thorpe, Kiki and Illustrated by Christy, Jana In a Blink (Book #1 Disney’s The Never Girls) 128 pgs. RH/Disney, 2013. $5.39.  Content: Language: G (0 swears);  Mature Content: G ;  Violence: G.
Katie, Mia, Lainey, and Gabby are just playing outside when, in a blink, they find themselves in Never Land. They don’t meet Peter Pan, but they do meet a lot of fairies. They have accidently appeared in Pixie Hollow, where all the fairies in Never Land reside. Of course, this includes Tinkerbell. Even the Queen Fairy isn’t quite sure how to get them home. Katie just wants to fly before that happens!
This is a fun, sweet, and wholesome read. It reminds me of how unfair I always felt about all the lost boys getting to have all the fun. That being said, I have been on my high horse lately about ‘Candy’ books. For some reasons I keep seeing tons of chapter books that are full of happiness, perfect lives, amazingly cute adventures, and a big lack of diversity. I am saving my small library budget for less candy and more sustenance (even if it’s just a scrap!).
EL, ELEMENTARY - ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: