Saturday, March 7, 2020

Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto - HIGH

Naruto (Volume 1) by Masashi Kishimoto, 186 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. VIZ Media, 2003. $10.

Language: PG (6 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

An orphan shunned by the village, Naruto has become a prankster for acknowledgement and attention. One day, though, he’ll be the best ninja and everyone will finally give him the respect he deserves! But first Naruto has to graduate from the ninja academy.

I really enjoyed watching Naruto, the television series, when I was in middle school and high school, so I was excited to read it. The show and the book stay very true to each other, and it brings back a lot of good memories for me, but I had forgotten how crude it is. I’m disappointed that I don’t like it as much as I remember, but it’s also possible that it gets better and less crude in subsequent volumes. The mature content rating is for nudity, and the violence is for battle gore.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: