Friday, March 27, 2020

Lucky Caller by Emma Mills - HIGH

Lucky Caller by Emma Mills, 323 pages. Henry Holt (Macmillan), 2020. $18.

Language: R (59 swears, 19 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Nina’s dad might be a radio host, but that doesn’t mean she’s getting an easy A in her radio broadcasting class. Ending up in a group with a radio host who can’t talk on the air and a boy she has some history with doesn’t make things easier. Problems are building up on and off the air, and no one seems to have any solutions -- least of all Nina.

Not a lot happens over the course of this book, and, yet, somehow, everything happens. With a series of just-realistic-enough, impossible events, everything works out in the end and the reader gets to enjoy the ride. Usually, I’m not a fan of books that don’t seem to have a point in the first few chapters, but, even though I didn’t know where the story was going, Mills made me care about where it had come from. I needed to know about Nina and the boy she has history with. However, the reason I will be recommending this book to all my friends is because it is the funniest thing I’ve read in the past year -- as in full on laughing out loud several times over the course of reading it. And I’m definitely going to steal some of this dialogue and use it in real life. The mature content rating is for innuendo.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: