Monday, March 23, 2020

Heavy Vinyl by Carly Usdin - ADVISABLE

Heavy Vinyl (#1) by Carly Usdin, 112 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. BOOM! Box, 2018. $15.

Language: PG (2 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Working at Vinyl Destination has been great for 17yo Chris -- except that she’s still being treated like the new girl after a month and that music hasn’t helped her find herself as she expected. When the Vinyl Destination employees learn that another band member has gone missing, they take it upon themselves to look for her. Chris is confused, but at least she’s part of the group now, and maybe she can even help.

I was not prepared for what I got myself into when I picked this up, and I ended up being just as confused as Chris in the beginning. While the story is fun and silly, the message is one of hope for young people who don’t have everything figured out: don’t give up! Life has a way of coming together, and you’ve got time to figure it out -- as weird as it might be sometimes. I’m excited to see what happens next with Chris and her new friends.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: