Thursday, March 12, 2020

Endurance: My Year in Space and How I Got There by Scott Kelly - ESSENTIAL

Endurance: My Year in Space and How I Got There by Scott Kelly, 310 pages.  NON-FICTION  Crown Books (Penguin Random House), 2018.  $18.  

Language: G: Mature Content: G; Violence: G.  

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS – ESSENTIAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE  

Scott Kelly had a hard time concentrating in school, but he developed a curiosity and love of flying and space that motivated him to become an astronaut.  Kelly tells of his sibling rivalry with his twin, his struggles with school and his courage to try new things.  He describes his time on the space station for a year and what it was like to come home.  

Scott Kelly’s confident tone throughout his biography was inspiring and made for an interesting read.  I loved the time spent on the space station and all the details that daily living in space entailed. I felt like I was living in space and the intense traveling from earth to the space station was stressful.  I enjoyed the colored pictures that were included and even if you have students who aren’t obsessed with space, this book is a good biographical read.  Content-wise there isn’t anything elementary kids couldn’t read, but the reading level would work better for middle and high school.  

Reviewer, C. Peterson.

No comments: