Saturday, December 30, 2017

What Would She Do? by Kay Woodward - ESSENTIAL

Woodward, Kay What Would She Do? 25 True Stories of Trailblazing Rebel Women, 111 pgs. Scholastic, Inc., 2018. Language – G, Mature Content – G; Violence – G; 

These 25 true stories are meant to inspire youth (especially young girls, but boys as well) to believe that they can accomplish remarkable things. Most of the women role models described are women that I had never heard of before, and, of the few that I knew, I learned that I did not know as much about them as I had thought. Each section is short, which gives each reader a nice taste of who each woman is with encouragement to learn more about the women that inspire each individual reader. After reading these about these amazing women, I only hope that I can be just as amazing in my own sphere of influence.

On another note, Woodward writes with a strong feminist lens and with casual language, which I found amusing in some instances and annoying in other instances. The eight illustrators also made the portraits for each women. 

MS, HS – ESSENTIAL. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: