Friday, December 22, 2017

One Mixed-Up Night by Catherine Newman - NO

Newman, Catherine One Mixed-Up Night, 187 Pages, Random House Children’s Books, 2017 $17.  Language: G(1 swear, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

Frankie and Walter are best friends. They decide that they’re going to stay in Ikea for the whole night. They trick their parents into letting them go to Ikea in the first place. Then they trick their parents into thinking that they go to each other’s house to spend the night, when really they’re both at Ikea. While they’re at Ikea they play games, wander around, and even eat food from Ikea’s cafeteria (don’t worry they paid)! Later in the book Frankie suddenly feels like they’re being followed. Walter doesn’t notice this so Frankie acts like she doesn’t either.

I didn’t really like the book. It seemed like it spent too much time on the small details rather than the big ones. It also felt like the book went off topic a lot. Once Frankie was waiting for Walter to answer a question and instead of talking about how Walter looked or Frankie felt, it talked about  Walter’s shoes. It also started a chapter by Frankie sharing a memory before her Walter became friends. It just didn’t make sense. The plot was kind of boring and dumb. I mean, staying in Ikea overnight! It didn’t seem like it could really be pulled off by kids my age. The kids though, I could relate to them. They were my age and wanted to do adventurous things. The ending bothered me too but I can’t spoil it so I can’t tell you why.

EL, MS - NO. -KJL, Student Reviewer, 7th grade

No comments: