Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange - ADVISABLE

Strange, Lucy The Secret of Nightingale Wood, 288 pages.  Chicken House, 2017 $17.00.  Language: PG(3 swears, 0’f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

The year was 1919. Henrietta’s family moved to a mysterious mansion called, “Hope House”. One day, Mama got very ill and an untrustworthy doctor named Doctor Hardy comes to their home. He gives Mama medicines that put her to sleep so she can’t function. The doctor and her “Nanny Jane” won’t let her visit her poor Mama. Henry believes that medicine won’t help her Mama, freedom will. When Doctor Hardy and an associate want to take Mama to a jail-like hospital called “Helldon”, Henry knows she has to save her Mama.

The Secret of Nightgale Wood was magnificent. I couldn’t put the book down! It was full of action, love and so much more. It was such a wonderful story, and it was well written. I felt like I was in the story when I was reading it. The description and adjectives were flawless. The moral of the story to me was, “There’s always hope”. That is such a good message to tell the world, especially when things get hard. One thing that I didn’t really like about the book was the appearance. The cover and the title of the book seemed boring and dumb. If I hadn’t read the blurb, I probably wouldn’t have read it. Other than that, I really liked this book, but I don’t think everyone would love it as much as I did. But overall, it was very good book.

EL, MS - ADVISABLE. MJH, Student Reviewer, 7th grade.

No comments: