Monday, June 17, 2013

The Garden of my Imaan by Farhana Zia –OPTIONAL

Zia,Farhana The Garden of my Imaan 192 pgs. Peachtree Publishers, 2013. $11.58. Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

Aliya is a young girl who is going through all the normal young teen stuff; self-esteem, homework, friends, and a growing interest in boys. Add to that her ethnicity and Muslim religion and she has a lot on her plate. Then a new girl Marwa, comes to school. She is much like Aliya on paper, but is super confident and sure of herself.  Will Aliya hide from changing herself or choose to learn from Marwa and grow?

A book about a normal student with relate-able issues is common, but add in the Muslim component and I was very interested in this book for my collection. I am not sure that this book worked for me. The cultural religious aspect was very heavy handed without much explanation to an outsider. Students reading on their own might be over-whelmed. I thought the main character wasn't very likeable and it made it hard for me to continue. This might make a better book for a teacher-led assigned reading.

EL, MS -OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: