Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson - ESSENTIAL


Johnson Maureen The Last Little Blue Envelope, 213 p Harper, 2011.  $16.99.  Content: G.  

Ginny was sure that her adventure was over – the last envelope from her aunt had been lost along with her backpack, though the memories of that summer would endure.  Then a stranger – Oliver – calls her up and says that he has the last envelope and he would be willing to help Ginny – but she has to give him half of the money from the sale of the art that awaits on the other end.  Plus she has an excuse to go back to England and back to Keith – her long distance boyfriend who has been more and more distant lately.  Ginny will be forced to interact with Keith, his new girlfriend (who Ginny can’t help but like) and Oliver – who isn’t giving up anything about himself, or about the envelope’s message so that he can make sure to get his cut at the end.  And the group of off to revisit a handful of the places that she went to last summer to find a special prize at the end.  

I have to admit that I have not read the first book of the duology – mostly because it is usually checked out – but I didn’t really need to inorder to enjoy this one.  And I did like Ginny’s adventure, the assembly of the cast of characters, the assembly of her aunt’s final piece.  However, I personally didn’t find anything that I liked about Oliver, which means that I didn’t like the end.  But that’s just me.  I enjoyed the ride and I know my students will too.  

MS, HS – ESSENTIAL.  Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: