Monday, February 21, 2011

Evercrossed by Elizabeth Chandler


Chandler, Elizabeth Evercrossed, 288 p. Simon, MARCH 2011.  $16.99.  Language: PG (10+ swears); Violence: PG (danger).   Ivy’s stepbrother Gregory tried to kill her already, but with the intervention and sacrifice of Tristan, her boyfriend, she survived.  Now Ivy is spending a summer working in Cape Cod in “Aunt” Cindy’s bed and breakfast and hew new boyfriend Will is close at hand.  When Ivy and her friends foolishly use a Ouija board, some sort of darkness seems to be unleashed and Ivy’s life is again in danger.  There doesn’t seem to be any hope for Tristan to save her this time – or is there?  I don’t understand why Chandler is revisiting Ivy and Tristan.  The characters are so mixed up – I couldn’t sort everything in my head and even by the end I just felt confused.  Guy? Luke? Tristan? Will?  What the heck??  A new reader would have to read everything that has gone before and I just don’t see that happening.  I have read them all and wished she has stopped long ago.  NO. Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: