Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Newbies by Peter Catalanotto – OPTIONAL

Catalanotto, Peter The Newbies Atheneum (Simon and Schuster), 2015. $17.99 PICTURE BOOK
Luke’s is soon going to be a big brother for the first time. It hasn’t even happened yet but things are already changing. So one morning while eating breakfast Luke imagines going away with new parents ‘The Newbies’, that have all the time in the world to spend with him. But its not quite what he expected.
I am sure that children would understand the feelings that Luke has about change, but I am not sure many kids would go so far as imagining they would go away with a new set of parents. I honestly think some readers may think he was kidnapped or having a nightmare. The illustrations are washed out and dreamy, not my favorite, though I guess it captures that imagination tone. Ivan the terrier from my favorite book by this author/illustrator did make an appearance though!
EL (K-3) – OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: