Monday, March 4, 2013

Bad Girls: Sirens, Jezebels, Murderesses, and Other Female Villains by Jane Yolen and Heidi Stemple –ADVISABLE


Yolen, Jane and Stemple, Heidi E.Y. and illustrated by Guay, Rebecca  Bad Girls: Sirens, Jezebels, Murderesses, and Other Female Villains 176 pgs. Charlesbridge Publishing, 2013. $12.89.  Content: Language: G (0 swears);  Mature Content: PG ;  Violence: PG.
A fair sided view of controversial women, from Lizzie Borden, to Cleopatra, to Typhoid Mary. Each story is short, but incredibly well written. Features an illustrated rendition of each women. Interspersed between each biography is a graphic novel style conversation between the two authors as they debate on the lives of the women.
Despite the title, there is nothing untoward in this book, it close to G rated. (Though I won’t advise it for elementary since I would find myself hard pressed to describe a jezebel!). The artwork for each biography is fantastic and intriguing. I had sort of wished the little graphic novel portions were highlights from the lives of the women, instead of the author input. I can see why they added those conversation snippets though –to point out perception and how who writes history creates it. I was surprised to see that I read 26 biographies, it was so entertaining that I hardly noticed time passing. Not enough info for a report, but tons of fun information reading!
EL, Elementary –ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: