Friday, April 20, 2018

Sonia Delaunay: A Life of Color by Cara Manes -OPTIONAL

Manes, Cara Sonia Delaunay: A Life of Color, 2017 pages.  NON-FICTION PICTURE BOOK. MOMA, 2017. $20.

This is the story of a young boy who discovers a colorful quilt in his drawer. When his mother, artist Sonia Delaunay-Terk comes in, she tells him how the colors can take them on a journey through sight and sound. Readers discover along with the son, the famous pieces of the artist and how they represent sound and movement through color.

I think our art teacher would adore this book! I think student readers on their own would be a bit confused but enjoy the imaginary journey. I like that this book is about an female artist from the early 1900s. I probably wouldn’t seek this out for my library but it couldn’t hurt –especially if your school has a big art program.

EL(K-3) -OPTIONAL.  Stephanie, Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: