Friday, December 9, 2016

The Cricket Warrior: A Chinese Tale retold by Margaret and Raymond Chang -OPTIONAL

Retold by Chang, Margaret and Raymond The Cricket Warrior: A Chinese Tale 20 pgs. Margaret K Elderberry Books (Simon), 1994. $16.99  Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G
This must be a republish edition, though I find no signs of that, and the book looks brand new. This is a re-telling of the classic Chinese folktale first recorded around the year 1700, though like most folktales it could be significantly older. The story is a family who needs to come up with a fighting cricket to give to the magistrate in order save their small farm. When a young boy accidentally releases it, a magical figure gives him the chance to take its place and save his family honor and land.
I thought the story was simply fascinating and I adore world folktales. I would for sure use this in a series of lessons I do in the library during which I read folktales and we map where they are from and if they have a their own name (like tall tales). I must say that I don’t think a student would check this out on their own, the illustrations are incredibly dull and unappealing.

EL(K-3), EL –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: