Thursday, September 15, 2011

These Hands by Margaret H. Manson- ESSENTIAL.

Mason, Margaret H.  Cooper, Floyd.  These Hands, 32 pgs. Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 2011.  $16.99.

Inside cover:  “Joseph’s grandpa could do almost anything with his hands.  Almost.  He could play the piano, throw a curve ball, and tie a triple bowline in three seconds flat.  But, as he tells his grandson, there used to be things his hands couldn’t do.  In this compelling picture book, stunningly illustrated by Floyd Cooper, Margaret H. Mason tells a story of overcoming racial discrimination that will inspire and resonate to this day.”

This is an incredibly touching and inspiring picture book.  I am extremely grateful that my children don’t have racial prejudices but I worry that they don’t truly know the history that occurred in the 1950’s and 1960’s.  Reading stories like These Hands, can be shocking to many people.  But I think we owe it to our children and to those who experienced that fateful era, to remember, to mourn, and to now celebrate the Civil Rights Movement.  I loved this book, and will add it to my collection of Civil Rights picture books, to help teach my children, and to appreciate the freedoms we enjoy today- no matter our color. 

Pre-K.  EL (K-3).  ESSENTIAL.  Reviewer: SL. 

No comments: