Monday, October 3, 2016

Teacup by Rebecca Young -NO

Young, Rebecca Teacup, Illustrated by Ottley, Matt. PICTURE BOOK. Dial (Penguin), 2015. $17.99. Content: G
This is the story of a boy who takes to the ocean in a little boat, with only a few things, including a teacup full of earth from the home he was leaving. He watches the clouds and has little memory fragments, eventually the tea cup sprouts a tree and gives him fruit and shade. When he finds land, another boat eventually comes to shore, it’s a girl with an egg cup. Features beyond stunning illustrations of clouds and water and tree’s, that make my heart leap.
This was a super duper strange story, I honestly wish there were no words or that I had picked up a book just by the illustrator. I have no idea what an egg cup is, so that totally ruins the ending. Was it his sister? Since she had the matching egg cup, I figured it was family, but then the last page shows multiples sets of footprints in the sand, like adults and small children, did they have kids? Just too odd overall for the school library. I will be keeping my eye on the illustrator though, wow!

EL (K-3)  – NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: