Monday, December 22, 2014

Makeover Magic (Sparkle Spa #3) by Jill Santopolo –ADVISABLE


Santopolo, Jill Makeover Magic (Sparkle Spa #3) 128 pgs, Aladdin., 2014. $15.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G
Aly and Brooke are sisters who run a tiny salon in the back of their mother’s nail salon. They call it the Sparkle spa and they offer manicures and pedicures to friends for donations, which they then later donate to charities. In this third book in the series, the girls face some competition (along with their mother) when a new spa opens across the street, offering free manicures! How can they compete with free!? The girls brainstorm ideas, try new things, and mostly just be themselves if they want to keep their spa open.
This was a wholesome fun read. I would have loved this book when I was in third grade. Though now at my age I shudder at these young girls being obsessed with high heels and makeup. I think this book does a great job of showing the reality of running a business, showing the benefits of what creativity and friendship can accomplish. This is the first book I have read in this series and it can stand as a read-alone, though I didn’t feel I got to know the characters very well. (that may take reading the first two books).

EL (K-3) –ADVISABLE  Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: