Thursday, December 1, 2016

Incredible Bugs (Animal Bests) by John Farndon -OPTIONAL

Farndon, John Incredible Bugs (Animal Bests) 32 pgs. (Hungry Tomato) Lerner, 2017. $8.00  NON-FICTION
This book is packed with information on a variety of insects, the chapters featuring clever names. Examples are Brilliant builders, Escape artists, and Super athletes. Special Skills is the last chapter and it was my favorite. Readers learn fascinating facts about a plethora of insects, like the orchid praying mantis who hides in a specific orchid and insects who use tools. There is a combination of illustrations and photography.
I am not digging this Hungry Tomato division of Lerner. The covers are just incredibly unappealing, featuring really low quality illustrations. They seem like they would all come in a pack on a table at a book sale for a gift, but not for a library. I have to be honest, I really don’t care for any of the illustrations in this series, I realize they may be needed in some cases, like cross-sections, which is ok. But I have way better insect books already in my collection.  

EL –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: