Thursday, August 9, 2018

Pet Dad by Elanna Allen - ADVISABLE


Pet Dad by Elanna Allen.  Dial Book for Young Readers, 2018. $17.  9780525428268  

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE  

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE  

Plum wants a pet, but her dad does not, so Plum tries to work with what she’s got.  Plum’s dad becomes her pet, but as she tries to train him, he doesn’t appreciate her bossy ways.  Eventually Plum has to figure out that the way to enjoy her pet dad is to reward him with hugs and other good behavior and then he will give her what she wants in return.  

The pictures are the best part of this book.  Plum is adorable and her antics and facial expressions are illustrated very well.  At first I wasn’t sure if I liked the story because I felt like Plum manipulated her dad to get what she wanted, but as I read it a second time I realized that this book gives the basic formula for any relationship-love and quality time.  

C. Peterson.

No comments: