Monday, August 22, 2016

The Last Monster by Gonger Garrett - ESSENTIAL

Garrett, Ginger The Last Monster, 296 pgs. Delacorte Press, 2016. $16.99.

Language G; Mature Content G; Violence PG.

Monsters: who needs them right?  Apparently society does.  Sofia has been battling cancer and how she sees herself.  A middle schooler, Sofia is given an ancient book that makes her the guardian of monsters. Can she handle the monsters?  Can she handle the truth?  Sofia has to make some big choices in her life.  

Okay, I’ll admit the cover didn’t do much for me and I put this book off.  At the first of the book, Sofia is such a downer I wanted to shake her even though she is going through a lot.  She is definitely a flawed character.  But then the book of monsters changes everything.  There are many frameable quotes from this book and a lot to ponder.  Is Sofia more afraid of living or dying?  This book could be read in layers, like an onion, or like Shrek.  I ended up loving it and the life lessons behind it.  I’m thinking that kids, especially middle school girls could identify with Sofia and learn from her. 

EL/MS-ESSENTIAL.  Michelle in the Middle

No comments: