Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Boy Who Said Nonsense by Felicia Chernesky -NO

Chernesky, Felicia The Boy Who Said Nonsense Albert Whitman, 2016. $16.99 PICTURE BOOK
This is a the story of a little boy found in a pumpkin patch as a baby, who is good at counting, in fact he will only said numbers. This doesn’t go over well at school, but his family finds use for his skills and is supportive of his abilities. Features bright cartoon like illustrations.
Is this child autistic? I am so confused. I don’t think students will understand this book either. While its nice to find a skill that makes each member of a family useful, I am not sure many children (in an urban setting) will relate to having to sell pumpkins at a market to make a living. Adding to the confusion is that the boy was found abandoned, not something I really want to explain to a group of small children. I liked the illustrations quite a bit!

EL (K-3) -NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: