Monday, May 14, 2018

The Case of the Buried Treasure by James Preller -OPTIONAL

Preller, James The Case of the Buried Treasure, 92 pages. Feiwel and Friends, 2013 (2017 reprints).  $5.  Language: G (o swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

When a boy in Jigsaw’s class finds a clue to a treasure inside the leg of his chair, everyone in the class wants to help find it! But Jigsaw is the one who is used to solving puzzles and he gets right on the case. But everything in the puzzle isn’t quite as it seems and Jigsaw is determined to solve it –with an ending that surprises him the most.

This book felt like I was jumping in mid-series; just a boatload of characters, which would be off-putting for younger readers. Since the books aren’t numbered, I felt like I needed at least one intro book to really set the stage. I thought the language was fairly dated for how students talk today. But the killer for me was the dated looking cover and illustrations –you should see the amazing chapter book covers and art this book has to compete with. Even though its wholesome and sweet, I wouldn’t add this book or series to my library –no matter how popular it once was because it just wouldn’t see circulation.

EL (K-3) – OPTIONAL Stephanie, Elementary School Librarian & Author
SaveSave

No comments: