Sunday, May 20, 2018

Jabberwalking by Juan Herrera - NO

Herrera, Juan Felipe. Jabberwalking, 137pgs. Candlewick Press, 2018. $22.99 Language – G (0 swears, 0 “f”), Mature Content – G; Violence – G.

Herrera talks directly to readers in this book of jabberwalking poems. As he talks with readers, Herrera also teaches his readers how to jabberwalk and write poems like he does. Hurry! You’ll get left behind if you can’t keep up.

The poems and narrative told through those poems are very disjointed and confusing. I didn’t understand what was going on in the first couple of chapters, then I thought I understood what was going on, and then I was lost again as Herrera continued with his half-baked ideas. If I learned anything from this book it’s that anyone can write a book. 

MS, HS – NO. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: