Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jumping off Swings by Jo Knowles - PUBLIC


Knowles, Jo Jumping off Swings, 230 p. Candlewick, 2009, 2011.  Content: R.  One of my favorite books ever is now available in paperback.  Here is what I wrote about it in my original post:
For all of its harsh language, there is something very beautiful about this book. Knowles shows so many sides of complicated teen thoughts on sex and love and blends them skillfully. We see the girl who thinks that sex will bring her love, the callous boys who see girls as trophies, but we also see the sensitive boy who realizes that he shouldn’t have treated a girl that way. There is nothing idyllic about the outcome of this book, no fairy tale ending. But it is a very honest look at the intricate dance of human emotions. I wish I could say yes, but I will have to leave this to public libraries or for brave parents. I had my daughter read it right away, but there is no way I could keep this in my school library without know that I would get challenged right away. PUBLIC. Cindy, Library-Teacher.

I still love this book - I share it with lots of young people; my middle school is just too young for the presentation of the material.
--Cindy

No comments: